Suspect in Washington, D.C. Shooting Previously Worked with CIA-Backed Units in Afghanistan

RksNews
RksNews 4 Min Read
4 Min Read

U.S. authorities have confirmed that the suspect accused of shooting two National Guard members in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday had previously worked alongside CIA-supported military units in Afghanistan during the U.S. war effort.

The suspect, identified as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, 29, arrived in the United States in September 2021 under Operation Allies Welcome, a program that granted entry visas to Afghans who had assisted the U.S. government.

His ties to the Central Intelligence Agency, which conducted joint operations with American special forces, were confirmed Wednesday night by CIA Director John Ratcliffe.

According to The New York Times, Lakanwal had worked with multiple U.S. government agencies in Afghanistan, including a CIA-backed partner force in Kandahar, a former Taliban stronghold.

Ratcliffe told Fox News Digital that the Biden administration approved Lakanwal’s entry in 2021 because of his “previous service with the U.S. government, including the CIA,” saying his involvement had been “as part of a partner force in Kandahar that ceased operations after the chaotic evacuation.”

Two National Guard Members in Critical Condition

The victims have been identified as Sarah Beckstrom, 20, and Andrew Wolfe, 24, both members of the West Virginia National Guard. They were sworn into service less than 24 hours before the attack, which occurred at a bus station.

U.S. Attorney for Washington, D.C., Jeanine Pirro, stated that the suspect used a .357 Smith & Wesson handgun, shooting one guard member twice before firing at the second. She praised the pair, saying they “put their lives at risk to protect people they did not even know.”

Other National Guard personnel at the scene subdued the suspect, who is currently in custody and receiving medical treatment.

Planned Attack and Federal Charges

Pirro said Lakanwal had driven across the United States from his home in Bellingham, Washington, with what she described as a “bold and targeted attack plan.” He is expected to face:

  • Three counts of assault with intent to kill while armed
  • One count of firearm possession during a violent crime

Pirro added that if either victim does not survive, the charges could be upgraded to first-degree murder.

FBI Director Kash Patel announced that the agency is investigating the shooting as an act of terrorism, and has executed search warrants at properties in Washington State and San Diego, California.

U.S. Immigration Processing for Afghans Frozen After Attack

Following the incident, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services announced an immediate and indefinite suspension of immigration applications from Afghan nationals.

“With immediate effect, all immigration requests related to Afghan citizens are halted pending further review of security and vetting protocols,” the agency said on social media.

White House Responds

President Donald Trump ordered 500 additional National Guard troops to Washington after the attack, calling the shooting an “act of terror” and describing immigration as “the greatest national security threat facing our country.”

Washington, D.C., Mayor Muriel Bowser, who has often criticized the deployment of the National Guard in the capital, said: “These young guardsmen should have been at home in West Virginia with their families.”