Trump Says There Are No Talks with Iran — A Day After Claiming a Secret Communication Channel

RKS NEWS
RKS NEWS 2 Min Read
2 Min Read

President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that no talks are currently taking place or planned with Iran, just one day after claiming that his administration had established a secret communication channel with Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), the military force that reports to the country’s Supreme Leader, CNN reported.

“There are no talks or conversations taking place, or planned, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The naval blockade remains in full force. The Strait of Hormuz is open and operational. All naval mines have been removed or detonated,” Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social.

Just one day earlier, Trump had said that his administration had established a secret channel of communication with the IRGC. Speaking to Fox News, he described the Iranians as “good poker players” but claimed they were “dying,” adding: “I have no timeline. I’m in no hurry.”

The IRGC has denied that any negotiations with the United States are taking place through a secret communication channel.

Trump’s latest comments also appear to differ significantly from an assessment given by special envoy Jared Kushner to Fox News on Monday.

“I would say that the conversations between the U.S. government and various sectors of the Iranian government, at all levels, are probably more robust than ever before,” Kushner said, adding that the Trump administration was engaged in “very positive and active conversations.”

Last week, Trump said U.S. forces had completed operations to clear naval mines from the waterway, a claim he repeated on Tuesday. He has also repeatedly insisted that the Strait of Hormuz remains open, despite reduced maritime traffic and Iran’s conflicting claims.