Indonesia has experienced continued intense seismic activity since Saturday’s 7.7-magnitude earthquake, recording 2,119 aftershocks so far, according to local media reports.
Indonesia’s Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysical Agency (BMKG) warned that the sequence could continue for another three to four weeks, Jakarta Globe reported.
The aftershocks ranged in magnitude from 1.3 to 6.2, with 24 measuring above magnitude 5.0 and 70 being felt by residents, said Wijayanto, director of the agency’s Earthquake and Tsunami Center.
Saturday’s 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck East Nusa Tenggara, home to the popular tourist destination of Labuan Bajo, causing significant damage.
According to Indonesia’s state news agency Antara, 68 people have been confirmed dead and 213 others injured so far.
Authorities have temporarily closed several tourist attractions in Flores for safety inspections, including Rangko Cave in West Manggarai, Wae Rebo Traditional Village in Manggarai and Kelimutu National Park in Ende.
The National Disaster Management Agency said Monday that more than 12,000 people had been displaced or were too frightened by the continuing aftershocks to return home.
Joint assessment teams reported that at least 914 homes were severely damaged, 126 moderately damaged and 317 lightly damaged. Damage was also reported at 93 educational facilities, 36 healthcare facilities and 38 government offices.
Meanwhile, the Euro-Mediterranean Seismological Centre reported a separate 5.8-magnitude earthquake Tuesday in the Batu Islands area of North Sumatra, which was recorded as magnitude 5.6 by the U.S. Geological Survey.
