New details have emerged about the man arrested on Saturday in Zvečan, who is suspected of involvement in attacks against KFOR troops and Kosovo Police officers during the tensions of May 2023.
Sources cited by KosovaPress reported that the arrested man is Igor Marković, who, according to the same sources, previously served as a member of the Serbian police and entered Kosovo from Serbia through the northern part of the country.
Earlier in the day, the Kosovo Police and the Special Prosecution announced the arrest of a person identified by the initials I.M., suspected of involvement in the attacks that took place in Zvečan in May 2023.
In a joint statement, the Kosovo Police and Special Prosecution said the suspect faces charges including assaulting an official, participating in a crowd committing a criminal offense and hooliganism, association for unconstitutional activities, and endangering persons under international protection.
“Igor Marković was arrested in Zvečan following extensive investigative actions. He is suspected of attacking KFOR personnel and Kosovo Police officers in May 2023. The Special Prosecution and Kosovo Police will undertake the necessary investigative actions in accordance with the law and the highest international standards,” the joint statement said.
Violence erupted in Zvečan at the end of May 2023, when local Serbs opposed the entry of newly elected Albanian mayors into municipal buildings in Zvečan, Leposavić and Zubin Potok.
The tensions followed local elections held in the northern municipalities, which had been boycotted by the Serb community.
Kosovo authorities have repeatedly stated that the events during that period were organized by criminal groups linked to Serbia.
During the clashes in Zvečan, 93 KFOR personnel were injured, with several sustaining serious injuries.
