Bulgaria Boosts Security at Bezmer Air Base Amid Reported Iranian Threat

RksNews
RksNews 2 Min Read
2 Min Read

Bulgaria has increased security measures at Bezmer Air Base following media reports that Iranian forces had assessed potential military targets in Southeastern Europe, including facilities hosting U.S. assets.

Bulgarian Interior Minister Ivan Demerdzhiev said authorities had taken “all possible measures” at the base in coordination with the Defense Ministry, according to the Bulgarian News Agency (BTA).

Demerdzhiev said the additional measures were designed to address a potential threat level higher than the one currently indicated by the country’s security services.

“We are continuously monitoring the situation and developments and will continue to take precautionary measures that are much broader and more intensive than the level of threat indicated by the information available at this moment,” Demerdzhiev said.

The measures come after reports that Iranian forces had assessed potential attacks against U.S. military assets in Southeastern European countries, including Bulgaria.

Bulgaria approved the use of Bezmer Air Base by U.S. military tanker aircraft last month. On July 22, the Bulgarian parliament authorized the deployment of up to eight U.S. Air Force KC-135 aerial refueling aircraft and up to 250 U.S. military personnel at Bezmer from July 24 through October 1.

The deployment is intended to support U.S. military operations in the Middle East.

The reported Iranian assessment of potential targets has prompted heightened security concerns across the region, particularly around facilities used by U.S. forces.