Croatian President Zoran Milanović has refused to approve the appointment of a new Israeli ambassador to Zagreb, citing what his office described as “the policies pursued by the current Israeli authorities.”
“Regarding the actions of the Israeli side, the Office of the President of the Republic confirms that the proposed ambassador of the State of Israel did not receive, nor will he receive, the consent of the President of the Republic, Zoran Milanović, due to the policies of the current Israeli government. Granting or withholding consent for proposed ambassadors is a sovereign right of the Republic of Croatia, and this decision is made by the President of the Republic. Any public or political pressure, in this case from the Israeli side, will not change the President’s decision,” the President’s Office said in a statement on Monday, according to HRT.
Milanović, a strong critic of the war in Gaza, said he had previously avoided public comments on the matter in line with diplomatic practice, but now argued that Israel had broken the “unwritten rule” by announcing the proposed ambassador before receiving formal approval.
Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it was working with Croatian counterparts to “resolve the issue of the status of the future Israeli ambassador to Zagreb,” according to a statement cited by The Times of Israel.
Tensions between Croatia and Israel have been present due to Israel’s military operations in Gaza and the wider Middle East.
In February, Milanović announced that members of the Croatian armed forces would not cooperate with the Israeli military “due to their unacceptable actions and unprecedented violation” of international humanitarian law.
In March, he also condemned the US–Israel war against Iran, saying that the desire for regime change in Tehran could lead to “economic damage” and long-term consequences.
