Kurti on the Arsenal Seized in the North: “Illegal Weapons Are Meant for Trouble”

RKS Newss
RKS Newss 2 Min Read
2 Min Read

Kosovo’s caretaker Prime Minister, Albin Kurti, has praised the work of the Kosovo Police and the Kosovo Intelligence Agency (KIA) following recent operations that led to the seizure of a large quantity of weapons and ammunition in the north of the country.

Speaking at a press conference, Kurti said that Kosovo has previously carried out disarmament campaigns and collected illegal weapons across the country, but not in northern Kosovo.

“As you know, the Kosovo Police has presented the large arsenal of weapons and ammunition it seized in northern Kosovo. You know that in our Republic we have had disarmament and illegal weapons collection efforts throughout Kosovo, but not in northern Kosovo. Over the past three years, we have had numerous police operations that have effectively removed weapons from the hands of people who are either criminals or, at best, potentially criminals,” Kurti said.

He emphasized that the operations conducted by Kosovo’s security institutions have resulted not only in the seizure of weapons from individuals who have committed crimes, but also in the prevention of potential future crimes.

“Illegal long-barrelled weapons are not for anything good, but only for trouble. So, we have not only seized weapons from those who have committed crimes, but at the same time, we have also seized weapons and prevented further crimes. Therefore, this is outstanding work by the Kosovo Police and the KIA,” Kurti added.

Kurti made the comments during a joint press conference with caretaker ministers Fitore Pacolli and Andin Hoti.

According to the Kosovo Police, a total of 45 locations were searched in the Zubin Potok area during operations conducted from August 6 to 17. The operations resulted in the seizure of 72 weapons, thousands of rounds of ammunition, grenades, weapon components, as well as military equipment and uniforms.