U.S. President Donald Trump said he has suspended a planned airstrike on Iran to allow negotiations aimed at ending the conflict in the Middle East, after Tehran submitted a new peace proposal through Pakistan, which is acting as a mediator.
Trump wrote on social media on the evening of May 18 that he had instructed the military that “we will not carry out the planned attack on Iran tomorrow, but I have given new instructions to prepare for a full-scale strike on Iran at any moment, if an acceptable agreement is not reached.”
Facing pressure to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and reduce the economic impact of the war, Trump said leaders from Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates urged him to halt the strike, arguing that “a deal will be reached.”
Iran has confirmed that its positions were delivered to Washington via Pakistan, although a Pakistani source warned: “We do not have much time.”
Speaking to reporters hours after announcing the postponement of the planned military strike, Trump said the United States would only be satisfied if a deal is reached with Iran preventing it from acquiring nuclear weapons, according to REL.
The American leader added that “there seems to be a good chance of working toward an agreement,” while Pakistan described the talks as “difficult.”
Iran’s proposal reportedly prioritizes ending the conflict that began in late February, reopening the Strait of Hormuz—which previously carried around one-fifth of global oil and gas supplies—and easing sanctions, while also postponing the resolution of disputes over Tehran’s nuclear program.
Iranian sources have also claimed that Washington has shown greater flexibility regarding frozen assets and civilian nuclear activity, although the U.S. has not confirmed any concessions.
