The Belarusian Ministry of Defence stated that the exercise aims to test the country’s readiness to deploy nuclear weapons. Ukraine condemned the drills, saying that Russia is effectively legitimizing the spread of such weapons.
Belarus has announced the launch of a military exercise involving Russian nuclear weapons. Neighboring Ukraine strongly criticized the drills. In 2023, one year after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko agreed to host Russian tactical nuclear missiles on Belarusian territory.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has emphasized that control over the use of these missiles remains in Moscow’s hands.
In 2024, the Kremlin published a revised nuclear doctrine under which Belarus is included under Russia’s “nuclear umbrella.”
Belarus shares borders with Russia, Ukraine, and three NATO member states.
Belarus on the nuclear exercise
In a statement issued on Monday (18.05), the Belarusian Ministry of Defence said the drills will test its readiness to deploy nuclear weapons across different parts of the country.
“In cooperation with the Russian side, the exercise plans to practice the transportation of nuclear munitions and their preparation for use,” the statement said.
The ministry added that the drills will focus on “practicing covert operations, long-distance movements, and calculations for the use of forces and equipment.” It also stressed that the exercise is not directed against any country and does not pose a threat to regional security.
Ukraine’s reaction to the nuclear drills
Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry strongly condemned the exercise and called on Western allies to further tighten sanctions against Russia and Belarus.
“By turning Belarus into a base for the deployment of nuclear weapons near NATO borders, the Kremlin is effectively legitimizing the spread of nuclear weapons worldwide and creating a dangerous precedent for other authoritarian regimes,” the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said.
Last week, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky warned that Moscow is trying to involve Belarus more deeply in the war against Ukraine. He said Russia is considering plans to launch an attack from Belarusian territory against Ukraine or even a NATO member state. The Kremlin denied Zelensky’s accusations on Monday, with spokesperson Dmitry Peskov calling them “another attempt at provocation aimed at prolonging the war and escalating tensions.”
